I love a good looking dessert, so this beauty does not disappoint.
Did you know:
Pavlova is a meringue-based cake named after the Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova.
The dessert is believed to have been created in honor of the dancer, either during or after one of her tours to Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s.
The dessert is a popular dish and an important part of the national cuisine of both Australia and New Zealand, and is frequently served during celebratory and holiday meals. It is a dessert most identified with the summer time and popularly eaten during that period including at Christmas time; however, it is also eaten all year round in many Australian and New Zealand homes.
It’s such a easy and fun dessert to make, and you can tap into your creativity and come up with your own creations.
Berry Pavlova Wreath
Here are the basic ingredients to create your own pavlova.
Ingredients for the Pavlova
- 5 Egg whites
- 1 cup Caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tbsp Vanilla essence
Ingredients for the topping
- 300 g Cream
- 125 g Blueberries 1 punnet
- 500 g Strawberries 2 punnets
- 125 g Raspberries 1 punnet
- 8 Cherries
- 8 Mint leaves
- Turn your oven on to 120°C to preheat.
- Using only the egg whites, beat your eggs till they are fluffy. Slowly add 1 cup of caster sugar, 1 tbsp of cornflour, and 1 tbsp of vanilla essence and beat.
- Place some baking paper (some prefer oiling the paper first) on a round plate, and scoop full spoons of your meringue mixture around the edges.This will form the pavlova base, so make sure that the scoops are touching and solid.
- Next, flatten the top with the back of a spoon, leaving enough space for all of your fruit.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- While this bakes, place 1 punnet of strawberries in a juicer/blender.
- Feel free to add rum and/or sugar to spice things up!
- Chop the remaining punnet of strawberries in to fine slices. Once your pavlova is baked through, set aside to cool completely.
- Next, smother with cream and place generous servings of your strawberry sauce and fruit on top! Place mint sparingly to bring some life to the wreath, and dig in!
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with Vanilla Ice-cream.
Have fun with your pavlova dessert and please share, I would love to see your beautiful creations.